Ok, here's how I have most recently been using my Rode NT1-A microphones.
I have been using this or similar "cardiods with a barrier" designs, since Fall 2004.
This nontraditional approach yields excellent stereo results in certain applications. 
There are  few photos followed by a description and links to examples of recordings.

Front View   
Top view                       ^ front 
Right side 
Fleece microphone cover 
Wind Screen 

This configuration draws from a variety of barrier mic approaches such as the Jecklyn Disc, ORTF, the binaural dummy head, and other head-spaced arrangements.   The greatest influences on the shape of the barrier were measurements of my own head, the size and shape of the microphones, and characteristics of whatever building materials I had on hand at the time.

The microphones are spaced approximately 7.5 inches apart and facing directly forward.   The barrier allows for a variety of mic angles while still maintaining a nice background stereo image, however mic angles less than 60 degrees are recommended to avoid a "hole in the middle" effect.

Until I come up with a better solution, I am using the shockmounts that came with the microphones.

The barrier, a circular wedge, is my own design:  made from two 12 in. circles of 2 in. extruded polystyrene insulation shaped and then sandwiched to a 12 in. circle of a denser 1/4 in. plastic material.  The wedge is covered with fleece.  I added a piece of thick felt behind the fleece material adjacent to each microphone and the to help with sound absorption.  

The shock mounts and barrier are supported by sections of 3/4 in.x 1/8 in. aluminum flat.

The windscreen cage shown is made from hoops of spring steel salvaged from a car windshield sunscreen and covered with rubber tubing.   Recently, 2007, I switched to semi-rigid plastic tubing for cage material to solve some wind vibration issues.

The windscreen material is light weight, double sided, four way stretch fleece.  I made covers for the microphones with the same material.

Even though this design does well for stopping the breeze from directly hitting the microphone, I noticed a problem of noise due to the microphones shaking from vibrations generated by wind against the windscreen and tripod. For the most part I resolve this by switching from the the stock shock mount's to wide, thin rubber o-rings.

Here are a few recordings made with this setup and a Marantz PMD-670 recorder:

        Night sounds of crickets and a Flammulated Owl:
        Morning sounds of a stream an American Robin and woodpeckers drumming:

Hear more examples of my recordings at my Sound Journal page. 
7/11/05, updated 7/21/07 - John Hartog